Charles E. Vreeland
Successive tours of duty in Alert, Ashuelot, and Ticonderoga followed; and, during that period, Vreeland
received promotions to master and then to lieutenant. In November 1881, after a period ashore awaiting
orders, he was posted to the Nautical Almanac Office, where charts and tables were prepared for use by
naval officers in celestial navigation. In March 1884, Lt. Vreeland began a three-year tour at sea in Hartford,
at the completion of which he went to the Bureau of Navigation for a two-year assignment. Upon leaving that
duty in mid-April 1889, he took torpedo instruction at Newport, R.I. Then, a brief assignment with the Office
of Naval Intelligence from July to September of 1889 preceded his reporting to the Coast Survey late in
Oetober. That employment lasted until the spring of 1893 when orders sent Vreeland to Europe as naval
attache-first at Rome, then at Vienna, and finally in Berlin.

Lt. Vreeland returned home late in 1896, was posted to Massachusetts in mid-January 1897, and served in
that battleship until transferred to Helena at the end of June. Vreeland was ordered to Dolphin as executive
officer in April 1898, but he did not actually assume those duties until 24 August. Thus, he served in Helena
through most of the brief Spanish-American War on blockade duty off Cuba until July. He was detached from
Dolphin on 6 November 1898 and ordered to Olympia; however, those orders were changed in December,
and he reported to Concord instead on the 30th. In March 1899, he became Lt. Comdr. Vreeland, and after
completing assignments in Concord, Monterey, and Baltimore-all on the Asiatic station-he returned home on
board the hospital ship Solace in March 1900. In April, he became a member of the Board of Inspection and
Survey; and, during that assignment, he was promoted to full commander in mid-August 1901. In August
1902, he took charge of fitting out of the "New Navy" monitor Arkansas (later to be renamed Ozark) at
Newport News, Va. When she was placed in commission on 28 October, he assumed command.

Two years later, Vreeland left his first command, Arkansas, and served ashore over the next two and one-half
years, performing various special duties for the Navy Department. Initially, he was a member of and recorder
for the board studying proposed changes to the New York Navy Yard. He was next assigned special duty in
the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy. While assigned to the Navy Department in Washington,
Vreeland received his promotion to captain to date from 13 April 1906. Capt. Vreeland concluded that latest
assignment in Washington on 17 April 1907 and, the following day, placed Kansas (Battleship No. 21) in
commission at Camden, N.J. He commanded the new battleship for the next two years-a very auspicious time
for it coincided with the cruise of the "Great White Fleet" around the world. Soon after the Fleet returned to
Hampton Roads in February 1909, he relinquished command of Kansas and returned home to await orders.
On 10 May, Capt. Vreeland took over command of the Offlce of Naval Intelligence. That duty lasted until 8
December 1909 when, with his selection for promotion to rear admiral imminent, he broke his flag in Virginia
(Battleship No. 13) as Commander, 4th Division, Atlantic Fleet. Nineteen days later, on the 27th, he became
Rear Admiral Vreeland.

On 19 April 1911, he reported ashore for further duty in Washington. In his new assignment as Aide for
Inspections, he approached the pinnacle of naval command. He became one of the four principal advisors of
the Secretary of the Navy, George von L. Meyer, under the newly devised aide system for managing the
Navy. During his tenure in that office, Rear Admiral Vreeland represented the Navy Department at the
coronation of King George V of England and headed up the so-called "Vreeland Board" which reinvestigated
the Maine disaster of 1898. The controversial report of that board-now considered erroneous-concluded that
an external explosion sank the warship

On 12 December, Rear Admiral Vreeland ended his tour of duty as Aide for Inspections and succeeded Rear
Admiral Richard Wainwright as the Secretary's second Aide for Operations. While in that position-the
forerunner to today's office of Chief of Naval Operations-Vreeland struggled to improve the defenses in the
Philippines, agitated for increased naval construction, particularly of battle cruisers, and supported the
development of American naval aviation. During his tenure as Aide for Operations, naval aviation found a
permanent home at Pensacola, Fla. On 11 February 1913, Rear Admiral Vreeland relinquished his duties as
Aide for Operations to Rear Admiral Bradley A. Fiske, the third and last man to hold the office under that title.
Vreeland finished out his naval career as a member of both the General and Joint Boards. On 10 March 1914,
he was transferred to the retired list. On 27 September 1916, after a retirement plagued by illness, Rear
Admiral Vreeland died at Atlantic City, N.J.
Charles E. Vreeland-born on 10 March 1852 at Newark N.J.-enlisted in the
Navy as a naval apprentice early in 1866. After brief service in Sabine, he
received a Presidential appointment as a midshipman at the Naval Academy on
27 July 1866. On 7 June 1870, he graduated from the academy as a passed
midshipman and, at the end of July, reported on board the newly commissioned
screw sloop California. On 28 September, he was detached from that ship and
was ordered to proceed in Severn to duty in the screw sloop Congress, then
cruising in the South Atlantic. He was later transferred to the screw sloop
Brooklyn and, between 1871 and 1873, made a cruise in her to European
waters. In July 1873, he was detached from Brooklyn. After successfully
completing the required post-sea duty examination in October, he returned to
sea in November in Powhatan and, less than a fortnight later, received his
commission as an ensign.